Tips for Panel Moderating
CMR associate Claire Doole has some useful pointers here on how to moderate panels more
This happens to me all the time. I am professional communicator, not a subject expert.
In December at the Women’s Forum for Economy and Society in Deauville, I had the privilege to moderate panels with guests as distinguished as the CEO of Coca-Cola, Muhtar Kent, French Presidential Candidate, Emmanuel Macron, Canada’s Minister for the Status of Women, Patty Hajdu and the Executive Director of the International Trade Centre, Arancha Gonzalez.
Have a look at my “behind the scenes” blog at “Moderating with Macron”.
A week after the Forum, I was asked, at one of the moderating workshops I run, for my 5 top tips on handling high-level panels.
Here they are:
- Be prepared, but ready to go with the flow
- Build rapport even if you only have a couple of minutes beforehand
- Listen intently and ask follow-up questions
- Ask the questions the audience wants asked
- Don’t be overly swayed by the PR team!
Have a wonderful New Year and I hope we will meet again in 2017!